Our Initiatives promote these goals and help us to live our values and mission throughout the community.
The Wellness Initiative
Wellness is an active process of being aware of and making better choices toward a more successful life. Healthy people have a more positive approach to living, are more productive at home and work, they are better able to provide quality support to people in need, and work positively with others. We encourage our employees to be well:
- Get regular exercise. Don’t use harmful drugs or tobacco and don’t abuse alcohol.
- Be aware of your feelings and accept what you’re feeling. Learn to manage the feelings so they don’t overwhelm all areas of your life.
- Financial. Be a responsible steward of your personal financial situation. Prepare for the unexpected and manage your finances to meet short- and long-term goals.
- Mental: Be a good manager of your entire life — including physical activity, good nutrition, rest and stress reduction. Learn to be an optimist!
- Environmental: Be respectful of the land, the environment and all species living in the world.
- Social: Connect with other people in the community. Connect with nature.
- Intellectual: Be creative. Stimulate your mind. Learn something new.
- Spiritual: Gain a sense of meaning for your life and your place in the world.
The Diversity Initiative
HMEA celebrates diversity — within our organization and in the communities we serve.
Diversity is essential to HMEA’s success, because:
- It is the only way to achieve our goals. We must attract and support competent, caring and committed staff by offering an atmosphere where all people are respected, welcomed and want to work.
- We can attract the best! HMEA competes for competent staff in a shrinking pool of qualified workers. A strong commitment to respect for diversity attract the best candidates.
- It increases the quality of supports. By including, valuing and listening to our employees, we can retain our staff for longer periods of time and ensure the continuity of important relationships.
- Builds strong teams. Studies show that groups made up of people from different backgrounds are more effective at solving problems and creating solutions.
- Build positive management practices. Successful companies have a strong diversity program and commitment from all managers. Managing diversity goes hand-in-hand with managing change, developing employee career opportunities and promoting an inclusive work environment.